[ale] Telnet problems - continued

Brubakken, Eric eric.brubakken at SouthernEnergy.Com
Tue May 25 08:52:25 EDT 1999

Yesterday I posted a problem using Telnet and being forced to use the modem
to connect to my LAN at home.  From numerous responses here I have solved
that delema and thanks to all that responded to my question.  But now for
the next round.

I have 2 WinXX boxes on my LAN and I can open a MS-DOS command window on
each box and ping my Linux box without a problem.  But on the new Win98 box
when I now use Telnet every thing 'appears' to be working but,  I do not get
any prompt for a login when trying to connect the the Linux box.  I can type
in characters, but nothing else happens.  When I select disconnect from the
menu I get this message "You still have open remote connections - do you
want to disconnect?".  Each PC connected to the LAN has a subnet address of
255.255.255.0 is this correct or should each subnet be unique?

Thanks

Eric