[ale] BellSouth ADSL

UnderGrid Founder undrgrid at undergrid.net
Thu May 20 20:21:24 EDT 1999

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

	Actually that information is a lil out of date... I've talk'd with
Todd at Atlnet recently regarding gettin my dedicated v.90 connection moved
to ADSL... He ran into a lil problem (ie - 3com couldn't deliver as plan'd)
so they have had to go with another product line... From what I have found
out it is an external device which basically acts like a bridge rather than
a router... In which case it should have absolutely no problem working with
Linux... but yes the support for 3com's internal PCI and external USB ADSL
modems would cause a problem with Linux... but give the kernel developers
access to the hardware and enuf time drivers would be forthcoming...

	Also from my talks with Todd I've been told they really don't care
what you do on your home LAN... whereas with Bellsouth if you even mention
multiple computers they will inform you that if they find multiple machines
on the connection they reserve the right to terminate your connection and=
=20
will not let you re-signup again for their service... I've even point-blank
ask'd Todd about me offering to host a couple machines for friends off my=
=20
connection as I have a complete subnet of IPs routed through my gateway
address for use on my LAN...

	Atlnet is much better to deal with if you have a clue vs. several of
the other ADSL providers in the area... They seem to me to be very responsi=
ve
and welcome to Linux users... I've even swap'd security tips and networking
suggestions with Todd...

	Respectfully,
	Jeremy T. Bouse

Jeff Dilcher decided to waste my bandwidth saying:
> Unfortunately the "card" that atlnet requires you to use does
> not have a linux driver developed yet.  Therefore, you would have
> to use one of their routers, which is a much more expensive
> propostion.
>=20
> Also, you are limited to 2gigs traffic a month, before you are charged
> an additional fee.  Seem like a lot, ntil you break it down to 60megs
> a day.  Hmmmmm.
>=20
> Soon we will have an exceptable adsl provider, I hope.
>=20
>=20
> Here is an adsl techs email to me:
>=20
>=20
>=20

--=20
,--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---,
| Jeremy T. Bouse  -  UnderGrid Network Services, LLC  -   www.UnderGrid.ne=
t  |
|     PGP ID/Fingerprint: 1024/E83D9AE5/4ACC03F098D78198 19D0593E50E597E9  =
   |
|   Public PGP key available via email at pgp-public-keys at pgp.UnderGrid.net=
   |
| Jeremy.Bouse at UnderGrid.net  -  NIC Whois: JB5713  -  undrgrid at UnderGrid.n=
et |
|      promotion, n.: New title, new salary, new office, same old crap.    =

---'

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--