[ale] BellSouth ADSL

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Wed May 19 17:20:53 EDT 1999

Bellsouth is real picky on ADSL.  The best thing to do is show them that you have ONE pc with this nic and mac address. then when they leave, throw the nic in yor server, throw that to the hub/switch and be done with it!

:)

-Patrick

>>> "David Brooks" <dbrooks at trusted.net> 05/19 4:06 PM >>>

Okee doke,

I think I may have asked this before, long ago, but I can't remember exactly
what the response was.  I might be able to ask BellSouth this (assuming I
didnt get a really misinformed/automated reply from them), but I figure this
list is alot speedier. Here's my situation:

1)  I've had it with dialup PPP connections,
2)  A modem connection just isnt very practical for the use my house gets
(with the whole family on the 'net)
3)  I run Linux (d'uh)

Now, on BellSouth's website, they say I need either windows95 or windows98
or Macintosh.  I refuse to believe that ADSL service requires this.  WIll
they still provide me service if I dont run these OS's?  Will Linux (or some
other obscure form of *nix, namely FreeBSD) scare them off?

Next,  I'm assuming they put a NIC in one of my computers, subsequently
leading me to believe that the "ADSL modem" they provide is a seperate
network device.  If I all ready have a NIC in every one of my computers, is
this still necessary, and can this "ADSL modem" hang off my hub?  (ideally)

If this ADSL modem is needed to be connected to one PC directly, is there
any sort of support for it under Linux?  Could I still use IP Masq to give a
connection to all the rest of the PC's in the house? (not-so-ideally,
however still usable)

Second issue - I would prefer a static IP address, because I have my own
domain name and would prefer to host it locally.  Does BellSouth.net provide
this?

Any information would be really helpful -- I'm looking to find another
cheap, higher-speed solution than dial-up pretty soon here.  I appreciate
your time.

-Dave
db at trusted.net

--