[ale] Finally!!

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Mon May 17 18:29:48 EDT 1999

Congratulations!! Here's some tips on the ZIP-disk question...

1) if you wish to exchange ZIP disks with Windoze systems, then you
   need to add the following line to /etc/fstab

   /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zipw vfat noauto 0 0

  use 'mkdir /mnt/zipw' to create the directory
  use 'mount /mnt/zipw' to mount the drive

  if you wish to (high-level) format this disk under Linux,
  you will have to become familiar with the 'mformat' utility.

  (the out-of-the-box ZIP disk is partitioned like a hard disk
   with the FOURth partition allocating the whole disk.)

2) if you wish to use ZIP disks formatted entirely for Linux, then
   you need to add the following line to /etc/fstab

   /dev/hdd /mnt/zip2 ext2 noauto 0 0

  use 'mkdir /mnt/zip2' to create the directory
  use 'mke2fs /dev/hdd' to format the whole disk as ext2fs
  use 'mount /mnt/zip2' to mount the ext2-formatted disk

3) alternatively, you can continue to use the fourth partition, so
   that you instead add the following line to /etc/fstab

   /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip4 ext2 noauto 0 0

   use 'mkdir /mnt/zip4' to create the directory
   use 'mke2fs /dev/hdd4' to format the partition as ext2fs
   use 'mount /mnt/zip4' to mount the ext2-formatted partition

4) note that I used a separate directory for each type of disk,
   so you could use ALL the options - it would just be up to you
   to keep track of which disk was in what format.