[ale] Samba Books?

Stan.Hearn at ipst.edu Stan.Hearn at ipst.edu
Fri May 14 08:50:07 EDT 1999

At 12:21 PM 5/14/99 +0000, you wrote:
>"Brubakken, Eric" wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone recommend some books on Samba?
>>
>> I have found "Samba: Integrating UNIX and Windows" by John D. Blair
>> (first edition). Tried to order the book, but it is now out of print.
>>  I have found another book "Learn Samba in 24 Hours".  Has anyone
>>  used that and if so what did they think of it?
>
>I just checked at Amazon, and it's available, but backordered (3-5
>weeks).  I've got it, and found it very useful.  I would suggest that if
>you can get anything by Blair, do so.  I've heard him speak at two
>different conferences and he's well versed on the subject.  Guess he
>should be if he's writing books about it. :)

I'm always concerned that the information presented by a book in print lags
behind the capabilities of the software product.  Besides there's so much
information available free on the web.

Does this book discuss plain text vs. encrypted passwords?  Was the
encrypted password problem solved before the book was printed?  If so, does
it discuss migrating from plain text to encrypted passwords?

Does it discuss the beta of PAM_SMB password authentication?

I'm just wondering.  I've been struggling through a samba installation that
doesn't seem to work the way I think it should, but I'm pretty sure that I
need the above two features and I need a resource that will discuss them.

I'm probably going to buy the book I just wanted your input on the above.

Thanks,
Stan