[ale] Linux Telnet vs NT Telnet

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Thu May 13 10:06:32 EDT 1999

    I have a strange problem that is kind of annoying.  I am currently running an older compaq with win95 and a newer compaq with RH6.0.  I am a network engineer and the 3 of us all have our preferences on OS's.  Well, obviously mine is Linux.

Problem: I can not telnet from my linux box or my 95 workstation into a synoptics lattisnet terminal server.  I can ping it fine so I know that its not a gateway / subnet issue.

    Anyway, I was forced to use my compadre's NT box and low and behold it came up fine.  (He doesn't know I stooped to NT yet and I am attempting to keep it under wraps)  But configuring serial devices is part of my job and if Linux's Telnet is flawed I will have to go with something else.  (Whatever the problem is with Linux it also is in 95)

I can't imagine it would be the emulation.  All three boxes are set to vt100.

Any clues?  Anybody run into this before?

-Patrick

ps. I can telnet into other devices from Linux w/no problem.  Just not this particular chasis.