[ale] Postgres

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Fri May 7 10:13:38 EDT 1999

At 09:49 AM 5/7/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi, delurking here for a moment with a major issue about Postgres.  I've
been trying to configure my SuSe 6.0 box for the last week but keep getting
the run around with error messages.  I'm curious if anybody else has run
into this problem and/or found a solution to it:

>I'm using Postgres 6.3.2, going through the SuSe install, but when in the
root account (or my test user account) I type "user> psql user" to start
the user database and I get the response saying that the database does not
exist in the "pg_database" file.  So I go over to the postgres user account
and try to

Postgres does not allow you to view the users in the manner you described.
The program that does allow this is MySQL - you may want to install MySQL
instead.

For what its worth - I have compiled and run both Postgres and MySQL on
SUSE 6.0 boxes.  In fact, I have both running on one box, and both programs
handle ODBC calls simultaneously just fine.  The latest stable version of
Postgres is v6.4.x, which is available from ftp://ftp.postgresql.org.  The
latest for Mysql is v3.22.22, which you can get from http://www.tcx.se.

I have used both programs extensively in a production environment, and both
hold up well.  MySQL is a little faster, but does not allow (yet)
subselects.  Postgres is a little slower, but does allow subselects.

Best of luck.

Bob