[ale] Postgres

Bryan Owens oracle at mail.thelastwordin.com
Fri May 7 10:49:52 EDT 1999

Hi, delurking here for a moment with a major issue about Postgres.  I've been trying to configure my SuSe 6.0 box for the last week but keep getting the run around with error messages.  I'm curious if anybody else has run into this problem and/or found a solution to it:

I'm using Postgres 6.3.2, going through the SuSe install, but when in the root account (or my test user account) I type "user> psql user" to start the user database and I get the response saying that the database does not exist in the "pg_database" file.  So I go over to the postgres user account and try to access the template1 database, at which point it tells me that the postmaster daemon is not running at socket 5432.  So I went into the postgres startup script in the init.d directory and specifically tell it to start up at that socket.  However I continue to get this error though the postmaster process shows up in a process list. Am I setting this up wrong?

Thanx
Bryan