[ale] apple maybe?

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed May 5 22:49:24 EDT 1999

    Martin>     does anyone know if linux will run on mac hardware
    Martin> like a quadra 700. Has anyone ever loaded linux on a mac.

	Check http://www.linuxppc.org/ and .com.  Somewhere on one of
those is a hardware compatibility list.  Short answer is probably yes
for any recent PPC based mac.  I had it running fine on a powerbook
2400 until I tried upgrading to some of the beta linuxppc R5 rpms.
Aside from me clobbering libc it ran fine.  I haven't reloaded because
R5 was supposedly comming out any day (this was back in January), but
I may go ahead and take them up on their "order R5 now and we'll send
you an R4 CD to tide you over" offer.

	There's also Mklinux, which was developed by Apple and is
basically Linux sitting on top of the Mach microkernel.  Development
on it pretty much stopped when all of the developers got put on the
Rhapsody/OS X project.  It may run on older (68k) based Macs, but I'm
not sure.

--
Fletch                |                                            __`'/|
fletch at phydeaux.org   |       "I drank what?" -- Socrates          \ o.O'