[ale] Slack --> RH

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Wed May 5 16:34:34 EDT 1999

On Wed, 5 May 1999 11:54:36 +0000 "David S. Jackson" <dsj at dsj.net>
writes:
>Slack is one of the most disk-space conservative distros out there.
>It doesn't throw a lot junk on the HD.  I would really reconsider using
>RHL if you're concerned about diskspace.

	Actually, I wanted to try out RH  (Besides, since I bought the
thing, I'd really rather not waste it) so that I could look at RPM as I
plan on sticking Debian on my personal system, which would use dpkg. I
also would really like to have glibc2. How much bigger is it? But would
Slack or RH take up less disk space in ext2 rather that UMSDOS? If so, by
what factor?

NOTE: I will probably be able to only give about 300M to it, and it needs
to have X.

>If you're looking for a friendlier desktop for your family, look at
>KDE (www.kde.org).  Now, it takes up a fair amount of space, but you
could
>remove some other stuff, possibly.  I recommend getting all the KDE
>bells and whistles for your family.  They'll like it better than
Windows,
>I'm pretty sure.

Can I get libc5 binaries that would run? If not, how much does the source
take up? I don't know if they'd like it more, they are pretty attached to
windoze, darned Microsoft brainwashing! Though, when my system works so
that I can install real apps on it, they may see the comparison. For
example, Emacs isn't as easy to use and doesn't do the same thing as M$
Word 6. When I get Star Office or WordPerfect along with some of the
other big apps, I can show them up.

>Afterstep and Window Maker are good WMs and don't take up much space,
>but they're NeXT oriented and WinLusers may not adapt easily.  Fvwm95
>might work, but it's not exactly close enough to Win95 to be worthwhile
in
>my opinion.  I think KDE is friendlier than Windows, and much more
stable
>too. But it's big.

I don't think I can make them adapt, but I'd like them to try Linux out
for a spin. Also, some of the family programs (namely educational) won't
run in Wine yet. :( I use WindowMaker now, and I like it a lot (Except
that when I made the newbie switch from always root to normal user, I
lost one of the pictures to your nature theme, and I don't have the URL>)
 I don't care for fvwm95 much, if I want the Win95 look, I'd probably go
more with qlvwm. But, in general, I'd prefer non-Windows. Anything is
more stable than Windoze!!

>GNOME is another possibility (www.gnome.org), but it's not as far
>along right now as KDE, and I wouldn't give it to a family of newbies
yet.

Actually, I know about Gnome, and personally would prefer it over KDE
given the choice, but I see your point. Although I am still a newbie,
don't take me for a total newbie, I know some stuff now, and if what you
say is over me, I can always ask. :) But, the rest of my family is a
different story...

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with attachments.)
Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocate

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]