[ale] BogoMips uselsess?

Glenn R. Stone gstone at mediaone.net
Tue May 4 23:11:13 EDT 1999

Byron A Jeff wrote:

> >   I just built out a k6-2-400.  It reports 700+ bogomips.  Looks nice, but
> > my Dual-P2-300 reports 600.  Should I be concerned that a 400 is faster
> > than mine?
>
> Bogo is derived from Bogus. The numbers only apply in the same chip families.
> Since the P2 is completely different than the k6-2 the bogomip numbers cannot
> in any way, shape, or form be related.

I have seen a K6-2-300 outcompile a PII-350... but the idea that one K6-2/400
beats a PAIR of anything in the same class is just what Byron said.  Bogus.
Essentially it's a timing loop, and it's probably only getting a look at
one of the two Intels...

Which leads me to the following related question:  is GNU make(1) smart enough
to take advantage of SMP?  I remember at GaTech we had a Sequent Symmetry we
could kick off make -P and snarf all ten processors on the thing.... emacs
compiled in a trice.  One would love to turn a quad-Xeon loose on the kernel
recompile.... can you say, way sub-sixty-seconds?

-- Glenn