[ale] MS-Office replacement?

Glenn R. Stone gstone at mediaone.net
Tue May 4 21:52:55 EDT 1999

Wandered Inn wrote:

> Scott Robertson wrote:
> >
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I now have one of the managers here inquiring about MS-Office
> > replacements.  Do any of you have any input on what is good, better, or
> > best?

> I've heard good things about Wordperfect and Star Office, but my
> experience is limited to Applixware.  That being said, I've been very
> pleased with Applixware.  I've used the word processor, spreadsheet and
> presentation tools and they've worked well.
>
> I've also imported word and powerpoint docs with limited success.

I've used both.  Applixware is lighter weight, faster, and has a builder
tool with it.  StarOffice is relatively huge (the download alone is 61mb),
but converts Office 97 (Applix only does Office 95/Word 6) and is a more
mature application.  (StarOffice consistiently wins software awards in
its native Germany where M$ isn't the only game in town.)  Because I work
in an O97 environment, I use StarOffice; YMMV.

-- Glenn