[ale] Sound Blaster AWE 64 Help! (Long!)

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Tue May 4 16:54:26 EDT 1999

Make sure the irq and dma setting in /etc/isapnp.conf coincide with the ones that are in /etc/conf.modules.

I had the same problem with my AWE64 and was frustrated to no end when none of the solutions worked!

So one day I was working on a completely different issue and wound up in /etc/conf.modules and to my surprise my sound card was listed there!  <laugh>

anyway... Try it and see what you come up with..

-Patrick

>>> Daniel S Cox <danny.cox at ecweb.com> 05/04 3:47 PM >>>
All,

	A wee problem (actually, it's driving me crazy, but that doesn't take but
a gentle push).

	I purchased a Creative Labs SoundBlaster 64 AWE pnp (yeah, I know, but the
docs say that it'll work).  I have a pnp modem that works just fine, thanks.

	I've tried on several evenings to get this thing to work to no avail.  It
works fine under that *other* OS wannabee.  I thought I'd hit paydirt when
I discovered that the IRQ of both cards were set to 5, but it didn't make a
difference.

	I started with "sndconfig", a Red Hat thing (I think), which mostly set
things up properly.  I had to tweak /etc/isapnp.conf myself.

	In checking the code that initializes the card, it checks for the constant
0xAA.  It always returns 0xFF, so the board never inits properly.  My first
guess is that I have an IRQ, Port or DMA conflict with another device, but
/proc/{ioports,interrupts,dma} doesn't note that any of these are in use,
or overlap.

	"isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" reports no errors.  Adding "(DEBUG)" at the top
prints the parsing and the execution of each statement, and still no errors.

	The error message tracks the io port if I change it from 0x220 to 0x240,
so I know the options are being set properly at load time.

	So: any more direction?  Any ideas?

	Much thanks in advance!  Machine description below, with config files.

Danny

Hardware description:
Pentium 200 MHz MMX
ASUS TX Motherboard
64MB Memory
Std 2 IDE interfaces, on the mboard, 1 for 2 GB drive (Win...something), 1
for ATAPI CDROM
BusLogic 946C SHA
	1 GB SCSI disk
	4.5 GB SCSI disk
	4mm DAT, Archive Python
	UMAX Scanner (on external SCSI bus)
std 2 serial ports and 1 parallel, on mboard
mouse, keyboard, monitor

/etc/isapnp.conf (no comments) is:
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE PRESERVE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(CONFIGURE AKY1003/822087295 (LD 0
  (IO 0 (BASE 0x03e8))
  (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
  (ACT Y)
))
(CONFIGURE CTL00e4/333648607 (LD 1
 (INT 0 (IRQ 7 (MODE +E)))
 (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
 (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x220))
 (IO 1 (BASE 0x300))
 (IO 2 (BASE 0x388))
 (ACT Y)
))
(WAITFORKEY)

/etc/conf.modules:
alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off
alias scsi_hostadapter BusLogic
alias sound sb
options opl3 io=0x388
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /usr/bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300

modprobe sb sez:

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb_dsp_detect(220) entered
sb: No response to RESET
Doing ESS1688 address selection
sb: No response to RESET
sb: No response to RESET
SB reset failed
sb: dsp reset failed.
/lib/modules/2.2.5/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
sound: Device or resource busy