[ale] problem upgrading to RH6.0

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon May 3 13:49:11 EDT 1999

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Zhongbin Yu "jerry" wrote:

> hi, greet all,
> After upgrade from RH5.2 to RH6.0, I've been experiencing the following
> problem.
>
> 1. lynx won't run said need libslang.so.0. can't install older slang
> package since newer one exist;-) Of course, quite a few package depends on
> the new one. try to fake one by ln -s so.1 so.0 fails due to undefined
> symbol and blah.

You didn't upgrade lynx then.  The lynx which comes with RedHat 6.0 is
linked against libslang.so.1, which also comes with RedHat 6.0.  Either
upgrade lynx or recompile the one you have.

> 2. arrow key and escape key stops to behave as usual under bash. look at
> .gnome-session-error, says something like "subshell.c: can't get terminal
> information. inappropriate ioctrl call for the device". wonder if this is
> a kernel thing or it is bash. upgrade/downgrade bash doesn't change
> anything. This is very annoying since I can't do command line edit any
> more via 'set -o vi'.

Somehow, RedHat managed to break vi-mode in bash.  You might want to fill
out a bug report (see http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla/) if there's not
already one filed.

later,
chris