[ale] syslog driving us nuts

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Jun 30 16:52:59 EDT 1999

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Eric Z. Ayers wrote:

> Anyone seen this before?  We are running a 2.2 kernel on RedHat
> 5.2. We've been running this kernel for many months. The machine has
> been up for over a month currently and this is the first time we've
> seen it.
>
> We tried restarting syslogd & sendmail and that didn't help.
>
> -Eric.
>
> Jun 30 14:09:09 bass syslogd: Cannot glue message parts together
> Jun 30 14:09:09 bass 22>Jun 30 14:09:09 OAA26182: from queue                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
     !

Yeah, a long time ago.  You might want to check the bat book to see if it
says anything pertinent, but I think it just means that the header and body
(sendmail stores them separately in the queue) for that message can't be put
together for whatever reason (either one of the two is missing, or the
header is corrupted, or something like that). I'd just down sendmail, whack
that message from the queue, and hope for the best.  Of course, my
recollection could be quite wrong ;-).

later,
chris

--