[Fwd: [ale] Internal IDE ZIP Drive]

Glenn R. Stone gstone at mediaone.net
Mon Jun 28 08:37:52 EDT 1999

"Christopher S. Adams" wrote:

> there's should be a atapi disk support, etc under block devices in your
> kernel config
>
> and i believe it would be hda, hdb, hdc, or hdd depending on what ide port
> you have it plugged into

Also, your default Zip disk comes with a VFAT file system on /dev/hdX4 (where
"X" is a-b-c-d depending on IDE port.  Why Iomega put it on partition 4, we
don't know.  So you end up with

mount -t msdos /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip

or such like.  You can also fdisk /dev/hdd (or whichever) and repartition to
your
hearts' content, something like

fdisk /dev/hdd
d 4             (delete default partition)
1
<ret>
<ret>            (/dev/hdd1, use whole disk)
mke2fs /dev/hdd1

then you can add

/dev/hdd1	/mnt/zip	ext2	noauto,user,exec

to /etc/fstab; now you can mount /mnt/zip as a normal user.  (To do the same
thing
for the default-formatted DOSish disk:)

/dev/hdd4	/mnt/zip	msdos	noauto,user

(I didn't put the "exec" option there because one would assume a DOS
disk would contain DOS, not ELF, executables; fix if this assumption is
wrong.)
("user" implies noexec,nosuid,nodev.  See mount(8) for details)

-- Glenn