[ale] NIC

Glenn R. Stone gstone at mediaone.net
Mon Jun 28 00:04:34 EDT 1999

Mike Kachline wrote:
> <snip>
>         From what I remember, Redhat does, out of the box, come with all
> of the modules compiled and installed already. However, actually
> *activating* the proper module at boot time the "redhat way", I do not
> know. Usually though, I'd add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local. I'd bet that
> using linuxconf may prove more "redhat correct".

The Red Hat "correct" way (linuxconfish) adds entries to /etc/conf.modules
(alias eth0 modname), and appropriate scripts in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
(ifcfg-eth0, which just sets up appropriate variables).

For those things which are not normally done in the course of setup (like
adding a module for some sort of custom card), create the script
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules,
and do your config there.  RH's SysV Init suite looks for the existience of
this,
and executes it if there.  I use this to hard-load the "sg" module for my
CD-R, since simply adding "alias scsi-hostadapter" in /etc/conf.modules will
eventually allow the module to unload itself from disuse, making it damned
inconvenient when I finally get round to recording a CD.

However, for most things (sound, network, SCSI adapters on which there will be
a mounted hard drive), messing with conf.modules (and other appropriate init
scripts) is enough.

Any more questions, please ask...

-- Glenn (RHCE at large)