[ale] Basic configuration advice needed.

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Fri Jun 25 14:53:22 EDT 1999

depends on your personal taste...

I have /, /boot, /usr. and /opt  (opt being my largest partition and where I install all my software too as well as downloads off the internet...

Quinton McCombs wrote:

> Although I am not new to Unix, I am new to the administration side of a
> Unix box.  I was wondering if I could get some help on partitioning with
> Linux (RedHat 5.2 to be specific).
>
> I have seen that on most Unix systems, the admin will mount the /var, /etc,
> /, and perhaps a few others in separate partitions even though they all
> reside on the same physical drive.  Is this only to prevent file sizes in
> /var (for example) from filling up the root file system?   Or is this also
> done for performance reasons?

Protecting root is the primary reason.  There may be others, none I can
think of at this time.  I don't know of any performance gains by doing
it.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl