[ale] Basic configuration advice needed.

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Jun 25 11:40:11 EDT 1999

Quinton McCombs wrote:

> Thanks for all of the replies.  Now for a few more questions...
>
> 1) How many separate file systems should I create for the base Linux
> install?  For example, /var, /tmp, /, /etc....
>
> 2) Any suggestions approximate sizes of these partitions?

This really is dependent on what you plan to use the machine for.  For
example, I have a 2 gig /home, because I keep a lot of stuff under my
user directory.

If you're using this as a workstation, it's not that big a deal.  There
are some recommended sizes in the RH manual, do you have one?  Whatever,
here they are: :)

swap - equal to amount of memory or 16 meg which ever is larger.  You
will here people say 2x your memory.  I would say 2x your memory but no
more than 64 meg is necessary, unless you can spare the disk space.

root - 50-100 meg

/usr - 300-700 meg depending on the number of packages you install.

/home - dependent on the number of users.

They go on to mention other possible slices - /usr/local /usr/src /tmp
/var /opt /boot

I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  Up until recently, I've
used the one file system approach and it worked well for me.  Now that
I've got 14 gig of disk space on my Linux box (two drives) it made sense
to create a number of file systems.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com