[ale] Basic configuration advice needed.

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Jun 25 10:00:26 EDT 1999

Nick Lucent wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 09:58:12PM -0400, Wandered Inn shook his keyboard and out fell:
> > Protecting root is the primary reason.  There may be others, none I can
> > think of at this time.  I don't know of any performance gains by doing
> > it.
>
> I have heard that it also parallelizes(sp?) fsck, so if your box goes down
> abnormally then it will come back up faster. But I havent seen this work
> (Doesnt on my box, it does all the partitions one at a time.

This is true, I've seen this.  I've got a number of partitions and when
it does the fsck, you see messages indicating that it's starting on one
filesystem, then another.  Sometimes the second finishes first,
particularily if it is smaller.

I think the main reason is to protect / from corruption.  In my older
days as a sys. admin, it was not uncommon for a user to fill up, say
/home by doing something, er, stupid.  With /home a separate file
system, you didn't end up running out of space on /.  Makes a good
argument to have /tmp a separate file system as well.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl