[ale] Basic configuration advice needed.

Daniel S Cox danny.cox at ecweb.com
Fri Jun 25 09:16:17 EDT 1999

Nick,

At 08:22 AM 6/25/1999 -0400, Nick Lucent wrote:
>I have heard that it also parallelizes(sp?) fsck, so if your box goes down
>abnormally then it will come back up faster. But I havent seen this work
>(Doesnt on my box, it does all the partitions one at a time.

	Fsck will only parallelize on multiple spindles, aka drives.  It doesn't
make any sense to attempt it on a single partitioned disk, and probably
would take longer than two (or N) subsequent runs, since it must move the
head assembly between the partitions.

	On seperate drives, it can (and does) speed things up a good bit.

Danny