[ale] RH6.0 and enabling 'telnet' and sibs

Christopher Smiga csmiga at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 23:40:04 EDT 1999

John,

If you are trying to telnet as the root user, you will
be denied access into the machine.  From your Linux
box, try creating an account and telnet into the
system from your remote computer again.  If you can
telnet and login to the computer successfully with
this new account, the problem is that Unix will not
normally let root access into a system through telnet.
 You can however, telnet into the Linux box with your
new account and use the "su" command to bring yourself
up to the root user access over telnet this way.  I
hope this helps.

Christopher Smiga
EMC2 Web Designer
http://members.tripod.com/EMCF