[ale] big problem?

Glenn R. Stone gstone at mediaone.net
Thu Jun 24 22:12:24 EDT 1999

andy wrote:

> Not a problem 122 should be ok.  I know AMD K6-x  are rated ar 65C (149F)

Actually, K6's are rated to 70C, except the 400 which is rated 60C,
and the 450 which is a different internal voltage and rated 65C.
I just looked at the specs before attempting an overclock.  ]

That kernel oops posted previously looks a lot like the ones I was
getting when I overclocked my K6-2/266 to 350.  The poor thing just
wasn't getting it.... I backed it to 300 and everything is <ahem> cool
now.  I don't know if tweaking the BIOS might help or not, but heat
isn't an issue; the box runs at a relatively cool 40C (104F).
If the chip isn't O/C'ed, yanking RAMsticks is probably the next
best choice.

-- Glenn