[ale] Basic configuration advice needed.

Quinton McCombs quintonm at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 24 21:11:57 EDT 1999

Although I am not new to Unix, I am new to the administration side of a
Unix box.  I was wondering if I could get some help on partitioning with
Linux (RedHat 5.2 to be specific).

I have seen that on most Unix systems, the admin will mount the /var, /etc,
/, and perhaps a few others in separate partitions even though they all
reside on the same physical drive.  Is this only to prevent file sizes in
/var (for example) from filling up the root file system?   Or is this also
done for performance reasons?