[ale] local mail routing

David S. Jackson dsj at dsj.net
Wed Jun 23 11:51:52 EDT 1999

One of the things that has always mystified me is mail routing.

I have 7 boxes on my home network, many of which run Linux.  I'd like
to have several of my mailing lists routed directly to those hosts
where they apply.  I'd like freebsd-general at freebsd.org to route
directly to my bsd box at dsj at juno.dsj.net.  I'd like my I'd like my
debian lists go directly to dsj at puddin.dsj.net, and so forth.

The only box with a real IP (static) is sylvester.dsj.net, and all my
hosts (ie tweety.dsj.net, scee.dsj.net, puddin.dsj.net, juno.dsj.net,
etc) point to sylvester.dsj.net on my ISP's dns tables.  Now I just
have to route them to the appropriate hosts from Sylvester.

I'd like to subscribe the freebsd list to juno.dsj.net and have it
deliver back to juno.dsj.net which is behind sylvester.dsj.net.

I think I'm running a caching nameserver on sylvester, but I don't
understand MX records at all.  And this is after a couple of times
through the named man page.  I've looked through the Sendmail config
files and related man pages, and I'm quite confused still.  Is there
some place that tells me JUST what I need to know?  Could any of you
help me get squared away so mail delivers right to the appropriate
host?

TIA!

--
David S. Jackson                           http://www.dsj.net