[ale] S3V/DX problem solved!

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Jun 20 10:42:37 EDT 1999

After my posting the other evening I went back to the www.xfree86.org site
to see if there was an update on the Server. After scouring through the
documentation I found some addition settings that the authors said may
fix what they called "pixel corruption". So I started fiddling and found
a combination that worked for me:

Option "xaa_benchmark"
Option "pci_burst_on"
Option "pci_retry"

I also have the videoram set and I let Xfree86 3.3.3.1 SVGA server choose
everything else. I tested with the sunsite NEW.html file which is about
20 pages of text. Before the corruption would occur within the first 2 or
3 page downs. Now I can roll all the way down and up the file it works fine.

Lastly do not set any of the fifo optimizations. fifo_moderate gave me
huge snow whenever anything on the screen changed. Turning it off made
it rock solid again.

Now I'm happy. I can get that $25 vido card that does everything I want.

BAJ