[ale] please won't someone help me with Linux

Irv Mullins irv at ellijay.com
Sat Jun 19 23:25:22 EDT 1999

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Wandered Inn wrote:

> Can't help you much with SuSE, but I've done a few RedHat installs.
> Just completed a Mandrake install, which, as I understand it, RedHat
> with some extras.  Based on the Mandrake install, I'd suggest going with
> it.  I had absolutely no problems getting everything configured and the
> install was flawless.
>
> Generally, you'll find most folks have their favorite dist, but very few
> folks have a lot of experience with more then one or two.

Mandrake is clearly the most impressive, but also the most flawed
that I've tried. Too many new things that make it unstable, I guess.
After about a week, I gave up on it and re-installed SuSE.
Some of SuSE's KDE software seems to be "beta", but overall,
the concept is great. The installation is reasonable painless,
but not as easy or as fast as Mandrake.

I've still got 4.0 Slackware to try, but I'm putting that off until
SuSE gives me a reason to do so.

Irv