[Fwd: [ale] debugging FORTRAN]

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at switchco.com
Sat Jun 19 21:33:12 EDT 1999

--------------214E4E7F96B1C24E978B21D9

Forgot to reply to group in case anyone was interested...
--------------214E4E7F96B1C24E978B21D9

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 18:30:28 -0500
 From: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey at switchco.com>
To: Lisa Chiang <gt6492d at gatech.campuscwix.net>
Subject: Re: [ale] debugging FORTRAN

Lisa Chiang wrote:
> I have some questions about gdb and FORTRAN.  Since g77 seems to be a FORTRAN
> to C converter (right?), how do you get gdb to debug FORTRAN natively? I
> downloaded the gdb manual and I must admit that I'm confused.

	g77 is not a FORTRAN to C converter. It does, however, use the same
backend as gcc which happens to be written in C but your FORTRAN
source is never converted into C then compiled. I'm afraid that I
don't know enough about gdb and FORTRAN to answer the rest of your
question, however. I would recommend that you subscribe to the egcs
mailing list where gcc & g77 are maintained. Those guys would be able
to help you out with definitive answers. Goto
http://www.egcs.cygnus.com .

	good luck & best regards,

		Ben Scherrey