[ale] debugging FORTRAN

Lisa Chiang gt6492d at gatech.campuscwix.net
Sat Jun 19 18:27:13 EDT 1999

ALE'rs:

I have some questions about gdb and FORTRAN.  Since g77 seems to be a FORTRAN
to C converter (right?), how do you get gdb to debug FORTRAN natively? I
downloaded the gdb manual and I must admit that I'm confused.

For example, I tried "show symbols" on my FORTRAN executable and all I see are
C symbols.  I seems that I can't load a source FORTRAN file and debug it like
you would a C program.

At this point I'm porting a large VMS VAX FORTRAN code to g77 but if I can't get
gdb to work with FORTRAN, I may just have to rewrite it in C which will take
some time.  Any suggestions? Thanks.

 --
Lisa Chiang
gt6492d at gatech.campuscwix.net