[ale] please won't someone help me with Linux

Irv Mullins irv at ellijay.com
Sat Jun 19 15:12:13 EDT 1999

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, you wrote:
> I am very knowledgeable with Macintosh and Windows.
>
> I want to use Linux, at least for now, as a work station.
>
> Can't decide if I should go with Red Hat or SuSE or
> ______(whatever)_________________.
>
> Guess I don't know enough about any of them.
>
> Can someone offer any help? I thought one of the big things about Linux was
> the support you could get.....

Hi:

I have been using Linux for nearly a year. I have tried the following
distributions: RedHat, Slackware, SuSE, and Mandrake.
The Slackware has been problem free. I had poor results with
RedHat, and worse with Mandrake. SuSE is what I am using now,
and I like it. Not quite as stable as Slackware, but more windowzie
in its look and feel, and it comes with some office software.

My suggestions are: if you like working with DOS, then Slackware
is the logical next step. If you prefer windows, then SuSE, with KDE,
good. Buy the commercial package, it comes with a useful book.
and free help, for $35 or so.  www.cheapbytes.com has all of these at
discount  prices, and they give excellent service. (just a couple of days)
While you're ordering, however, remember that the other brands of
Linux only cost a couple of dollars, and don't add to the postage charges,
so you may as well get several different versions.

Before you order anything, however, be sure to check your hardware:
video card, modem, scanner, etc. to be sure Linux supports them. People
are being ripped off by being sold modems (and now printers, too) which
have been "gutted" so that they only work with Micro$oft software. Hope
you aren't one of those people.

Regards,
Irv Mullins