[ale] Diskless networking questions.

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jun 19 11:41:25 EDT 1999

> 	Guys,
>
> 	Over the short "spring break" we've had, I managed to finally get
> an (almost) diskless linux net going at home. However, with the addition
> of a new machine, as well as an ethernet based lan, I've now got questions
> concerning connectivity to the internet via modem.
>
> 	First, a quick rundown of my architecutre. I've got two machines,
> one called "client" (192.168.0.2), and one called "server" (192.168.0.1).
> "client" is diskless booting (really floppy booting) and has it's NFS home
> on "server". Both "client" and "server" are running RH 5.2 and kernel
> 2.2.7. Finally, "server" has a modem.

Cool. I'm looking into setting up completely selfcontained diskless boxes
that will load a ramdisk from a flash EEPROM.

> 	My question is this. I want to be able to have "server" connect
> via PPP to the internet and then be able to "route" any internet requests
> from "client" to the internet through this PPP link. I've read a little on
> IP Masquerading, and suspect that this is the direction which I want to
> go... can anyone confirm this? Are there any pitfalls which I need to know
> about in getting this up and running?

Yes and not really. Read up on the IP-Masquerading HOWTO and on ipchains
which is the program that configures Masquerading. The only thing you must
do is be sure that the appropriate forwarding code is in the kernel, either
compiled or installed as modules.

BAJ