[ale] Tired of my S3 Virge in X. Any suggestions

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 18 23:10:53 EDT 1999

I have a S3 Virge/DX with 4MB of ram. If the card worked right I'd be extremely
pleased. However XFree86 3.3.3.1 both SVGA and S3V flakes out with scrambled
fonts, especially in Netscape. It's driving me crazy.

I'm not a firm believer in spending a whole bunch of dollars on a video card.
I usually just program and websurf. No great demands other than 16 bit or
better color, preferably AGP, a less than $40 price tag.

Any suggestions. Has anyone tried the current batch of low end Tridents?
How do they hold up.

Oh and does anyone want to purchase a used S3 Virge? ;-)

BAJ