[ale] Code editors

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 18 22:37:22 EDT 1999

> Vernard and I discuss loosely coupled multiprocessor machines from time to
> time. I just just running a cost analysis on a 400Mhz/MB/128 MB ram combo.
> Clocks in at $250 a board. for $1500 bucks you can have 4 boards, 100 Mbit
> switched eithernet, and a decent video system. With a small amount of work
> it should be possible to rack it up in something the size of a stereo even
> adding blinkly lights. Need more horsepower? Add another board. The only thing
> that's left is working out the programming an Beowulf gives an huge jump on
> that aspect.

I concur with Byron wholeheartedly :-)

I finally decided to build another cluster at home and I'm using cast off PC
hardware. Everyting from 386-25s with 9MB of ram to a K6-300 with 128MB. Using
10Mb because I have a stack of them. Gonna be interested. I'll let you list
know how it turns out.

Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable   Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)
Lightness has a call that's hard to hear  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/