[ale] Booting RedHat 5.2

Ryan ...... twobarrel at maxinter.net
Fri Jun 18 06:49:46 EDT 1999

Hey Y'all,

    I have a question of which I am sure the answer is staring me in the
face.  I am running a multiple boot system with multiple drives.  The
configuration is :

        HDA1 : DOS/WIN3.11
        HDA2 : WIN95
        HDA3 : WIN98
        HDB1 : CALDERA 1.2
        HDD1 : RedHat 5.2

    I installed Partition Magic 4.0 and it's boot manager which
recognizes all of the os's. It will boot the windoze partitions fine.  I
am using the version of LILO which came with the Caldera 1.2 to boot
Caldera 1.2 successfully.  I am hoping to find a way to use it to boot
the RedHat 5.2 partition.  LILO knows the Linux partition on /dev/hdd1
where RedHat resides is there.  Upon trying to boot RedHat from LILO I
get the message from LILO saying it is booting the partition/os, but
nothing else happens.

    I did install RedHat's version of LILO to the /dev/hdd1 partition
where RedHat resides.  When trying to boot this from Partition Magic's
Boot Manager, I get

        L I

and nothing else.  The system locks up.

    I tried creating a /boot partition on HDA, but there appears to be
too many primary partitions already created.  Can I install /boot for
RedHat to a logical partition instead?  Would this even help?

    Currently, the only way I can boot into RedHat is to use the boot
disk it made during installation.  I would prefer not to delete any
partitions / os's because this computer is used for testing code and
training / teaching people and I do not have the $$$ to purchase another
computer.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Ryan