[ale] SIGILL ??

Neil Bright ncb at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 15 08:09:01 EDT 1999

Peter Ekstrom wrote the following:

> Can someone explain to me what it means when an application exits
> because of a SIGILL (signal 4)?

- in English, your processor tried to execute some code that it didn't
understand.

> I am trying to get VMware to run, but it keeps exiting because it
> catches the above signal.

I do know that VMware does not function on CPUs that don't support the
tsc instruction.  (Like my 166Mhz Cyrix 6x86...  *grrrr*)  From the
VMware FAQ (http://www.vmware.com/products/productfaq.html):

	Does VMware run only on Intel processors or can it also run on
	Intel compatible processors?

		VMware runs on any Intel Pentium family processor
		including, Pentium, Pentium with MMX, Pentium-Pro,
		Pentium II, Pentium Xeon or Pentium III and compatible
		processors including the AMD K-6 and Cyrix MII.

+============ 24 68 BF F6 0E 73 53 47 80 E9 27 7D F9 35 58 4B ============+
 Neil Bright              ncb at cc.gatech.edu            IHPCL administrator
 (404) 385-0448                                       College of Computing
 http://www.cc.gatech.edu/projects/ihpcl   Georgia Institute of Technology