[ale] WebTV with Linux

John Mills cfowler at avana.net
Tue Jun 15 01:21:05 EDT 1999

I'm building a small webtv box that I am going to install linux on and use with
TV and cable modem.  Maybe some of you have done this and can answer a few questions.

1.   Should max resolution be 800x600 since TV can not go that high
2.   What video card works with linux and has NTSC output for TV.
3.   What is the cheapest sound card that will give me Audio output
4.   What motherboard has sound that is compatible with Linux?
5.   What is the cheapest ir keyboard and ir mouse?

The audio is for real audio and mp3's.  The video is for X windows.

the only way to do this project is to keep it unde $300.00 If anyone has
any ideas then shoot.  My hardware plans are below:

Celeron 350/128k
32mb ram
Desktop case
2GB or 4GB  HDD
Video (What Type?)
Sound (What Type?)
Generic NE2000 ($15)

Maybe it is possible to get this to work in a smaller case?
I have thought of CDROM for restores but could also use a partition on the
HDD for that.  CD-ROM would add to the expense but make it easier to upgrade
the machine.  Also upgrades can be done via cable modem.  All help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Fowler