[ale] Telco Terminology

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sat Jun 12 09:51:49 EDT 1999

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Alan Bowman wrote:

>  So that I (and possibly others) can better follow the recent thread
> regarding xDSL lines, could someone please define the following terms:
>
> CO
Central Office.  That location where the SLC is located.

> SLC
Don't remember exactly the acronym, but it is the device at the CO that
handles connecting one telephone to another, or to a trunk line.  It's
also sometimes called a switch.

> demarc
The point where the telco's responsibility ends and the user's begins.  on
an ordinary analogue phone line, it is that funny looking modular plug
with a latch that holds the plug into the socket.

> physical copper line
Exactly what it sounds like.  The wires are made of copper.

> ADSL
I know this one is asymmetric.  It means you can download faster than you
can upload, but it is still faster than a modem in both directions.

> SDSL
> IDSL
I don't know these two.

--