[ale] IDE (Intergrated development environment)

Clay Lawrence servo at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 12 00:11:29 EDT 1999

I'll second and third the motion on Nedit. It supports around fifteen
languages, offers syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, programmable key
sequences and much more. A great X editor for programming.

I would still suggest you learn Vi, and emacs if you want. The one reason you
should probably learn to at least move around a little in Vi is that it will
fit on a floppy and emacs won't. When you floppy boot a crashed system you
know you can get to Vi to fix things if you have it on a floppy, can't do
this with emacs.If not Vi, learn any other nonX editor that you can fit on a
floppy and keep the floppy with your emergency boot disk. According to
Murphy, if you do this you'll never need it, if you don't you'll wish you had
:-)

Clay