[ale] Copying entire machines

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Fri Jun 11 14:41:39 EDT 1999

Thankyou..That's actually what I ended up doing... It wasn't as bad as I thought it was... :)

>>> <Michael at celery.atl.mediaone.com> 06/11 2:18 PM >>>
> Anyone know of a quick and easy way to copy a Linux setup to an identical
> machine? (multiple machines actually)
>
> I have tried ghost and it seems to work fine until you reboot... then all I
> get is a "LI" when LiLo attempts to load.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Or is there a way I can manually fix the "LI" problem after I ghost each
> machine?  I am assuming lilo is not finding the boot information.  Does this
make sense?

Don't know what "ghost" is, but it sounds like it copies everything from one
disk to another.

I would make a boot flopply (which uses the HD as root--so only the kernel is
on the floppy) and boot the new machine once.  Now run lilo on the new machine
and toss out the floppy (okay, just set it aside until you know it works).

--Michael