[ale] IDE (Intergrated development environment)

Glenn R. Stone gstone at mediaone.net
Fri Jun 11 08:38:10 EDT 1999

Mike Kachline wrote:

>         ...I'm serious about the vi / emacs part though. Take the time to
> learn one or the other. The longer you continue running Unix, the more you
> will realize how these two packages are very nicely integrated for the
> environment. (I especially like emacs' feature of being able to do CVS
> checkins, checkouts and so forth).

I'm going to go a step further and take as much of a non-sectarian stance
as I can on what is often thought as a religious war.

Learn vi.  Why?  If it's anywhere remotely related to Unix, it'll be there,
guaranteed.  Emacs won't necessarily.  Ditto Pico.  And heaven help you if
you depend on X for your editor.  Sooner or later you're going to have a
busted system, and 9 times out of 10 vi will be all you have.  And vi runs
on ANYTHING, from a DecWriter II to the hottest graphics console.

Ironically, the Red Hat rescue set is the tenth time:  vi (vim) is not there,
and Pico is.  But then, Pico was designed for Joe Idiot User to be able to
use the first time, so it's a non-issue.  (vim has also got way more features
than the original vi ever dreamed of; it's kinda bloated as vi's go.  Anyone
know how to turn all that stuff off and make it behave?)

I'm not saying you have to use vi as your everyday editor.  I use emacs for
anything
bigger than minor config file tweaking, and that's only because I haven't
bothered
with any of the X based editors.  (I like my command line, dammit! :)  But
you really should know hjkli<esc>x:wq, just in case.

My two bits' worth,
Glenn
Unix Olde Phogie (but not truly ancient yet)...