[ale] IDE (Intergrated development environment)

J. Reeves Hall reeves at earthling.net
Fri Jun 11 01:01:25 EDT 1999

Mike Kachline wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Tri wrote:
>
> > Ok I just got "The C programming language" from amazon. Now I'm looking
> > for a IDE that I can learn real fast so that I can finally get into
> > learning the language instead of fiddling around with settings. I tried
> > to use emacs, but I don't have the time to learn it.
> <snip>
>
>         My recommendation would be to learn either vim or emacs. However,
> to tide you over in your short term hacking frenzies, search the net for a
> utility called "xwpe". It's got a very Borland'ish look and feel and
> offers spiffy features like pulling up man pages for whatever function
> your cursor is currently over on "F1", color syntax highlighting, and so
> forth.
>
>         ...I'm serious about the vi / emacs part though. Take the time to
> learn one or the other. The longer you continue running Unix, the more you
> will realize how these two packages are very nicely integrated for the
> environment. (I especially like emacs' feature of being able to do CVS
> checkins, checkouts and so forth).

I personally cannot stand Emacs, even after doing my LaTeX in it for several
months... The C-x C-s C-x-C-c M-x latex-mode kind of stuff is easy enough
after a while, but customizing it is a beast, and I don't want to have to
learn Lisp for that (I'd like to learn Lisp eventually, but I don't wanna
mess with it now :) I like the expansion of the acronym, Escape Meta Alt
Control Shift...

I've never messed with vi. I should probably learn it. I've heard it's very
nice for editing over a telnet connection with a lousy terminal, such as
Win95's telnet.

RHIDE is in my opinion much better than xwpe. xwpe works, but its mouse
support is lacking and its interface is annoying at times. RHIDE, on the
other hand, uses a direct` port of the Turbo Vision library, so its interface
is almost exactly like Turbo C++. It has a very nice built in debugger (based
on gdb, but totally integrated) too. Highly recommended. It's also free. I've
done more than one large project with it. It's on Robert Hohne's site (that o
has dots over it).

I'm becoming more of an X aficionado lately, so I've switched to the
excellent NEdit and classic makefiles.

On a very random and unrelated side note, I like the way Java more or less
specifies coding style as part of the language... C is a pain because every
API seems to use a different convention: OpenGL uses glMixedCaps for
functions and otherwise GL_PREFIXES everything, ncurses doesnt have any style
or separation and is very difficult to read... None of that bull in Java.
Don't know what brought that up, it's just been on my mind...

-Reeves

--
In a world without fences, why do we need Gates?
Linux. Because I have better things to do than worry about Y2K.