[ale] how to ident or bring down NT box?

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 9 19:35:52 EDT 1999

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 11:25:37AM -0400, Steven DuChene shook his keyboard and out fell:
> OK, normally I stay as far away as possible from NT but I have a
> co-worker here who just got a new NT box and the IP address she was
> assigned seems to be in use by another NT box on this same subnet.
> We have used smbclient to defintately identify the problem box as
> an NT box and looked at the top level of the registry but have not
> been able to get any info on what the hostname or user of the machine
> is. The system probably has a fat fingered IP address configuration
> and this prevents the new NT box my co-worker has from coming up
> properly.
>
> Our IT department says they will be able to fix the duplicate IP
> address in one or two days.
>
> My question is is there anyway to get more info on the box to try to
> identify who has it or failing that to remotely reboot it so we can
> bring up the new box with the new IP address?

If you leave it long enough it will bring itself down (A convenience feature
for just this situation). =]. I dont know how much of what im about to tell
you needs resource kit (all the things they should have included but decided
to charge extra for). And I dont know what kind of trust/permissions you
have, but you can use shutdown from a cmd and just give \\hostname. You also
need to check out net blah, thats where most of that stuff is (net
statistics will probably be usefull)

Nick
--