[ale] How do I track the Machine name by knowing the IP

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 9 17:18:36 EDT 1999

At 11:50 AM 6/9/99 -0400, you wrote:

>hi all,
>    i have a good question for you guys though i actually require help in
this matter. How can i find the mac address (physical address of the NIC
card) and the machine name (running windows 95 or 98)  (most importantly i
require the windows machine name ) by knowing the IP address alone.??? well
i tried to find

Vijay;

Will you be doing the tracking on a Linux machine?  Also, will all of the
Win95/98 machines have an ip address?

If so, I wrote a little bash script about six months ago to check my
network daily for new "additions", e.g. ping the ip address, and then arp
to find the mac address.  I would then cut the results out and import it
into a database that I could review at a later date.  This could also be
changed to to print directly to a flat file that can be read.

If you are trying to do it from a Win95/98/NT machine, or if the Windows
machine does not have an IP address, then you may be out of luck.

Regards - Bob Kruger