[ale] Need help on RH5.2

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Wed Jun 2 17:37:55 EDT 1999

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:18:10 -0400 (EDT) vernard at cc.gatech.edu (Vernard
Martin) writes:
>Formatting the disk only takes a long time if you tell it to check for
>bad blocks and its a large hard drive. Having a slow machines such as a
>486-66 will also slow things down considerably as well.

It is a new drive, and I did tell it to check for new blocks. I didn't
realize it would take a lot longer until it had already started, and I
couldn't stop it without restarting the entire installation.

>I have found that Slackware has more of a BSD style of setup whereas
>RedHat is closer to the standard Sys V r4 stuff. They are more different
than
>better. I suspect that its a matter of religion more than anything else.

Hmm, maybe I prefer the BSD style then. Maybe it's just what I'm used to.
But it sure is simpler than SysV!

>KDE being slow has everything to do with the speed of the machine and
>KDE itself and nothing to do with the distribution.

Ouch then. Too bad it *IS* a 486DX2-66 (How did you guess?)

>Prompts are based on the shell. You are mostly likely using bash as
>your defualt shell. You can change the default prompts by edition your
>local .profile file or the /etc/profile file which is the global
settings
>for bash.

Okay, I will take a look at that.

>This is a bug in your video chipset. You need to locate the readme
>file four chipset so that you can learn what extra settings you have to
add to
>your XF86Config file to disable these errors. If you don't know what
>chipset is used on your video card then you can usually find out by
running the
>SuperProbe command as root.

Okay, I'll take a look at that too. I hope it helps, because it sure is
annoying.

>Were you logged in as root when you were trying all of this? only root
>should be able to do those things.

No, I wasn't logged in at all. I clicked the shutdown button on KDM's
main window and chose shutdown and restart, and hit okay. It said it was
sending all processes the TERM signal and the KILL signal, and then it
said it was shutting down gpm, and hung there. It did the same thing if I
just told it to shutdown without reboot.

>You can launche the "netcfg" tool and it is a gui for setting up
>networking in general including PPP. You can also check the docs in
/usr/doc/ppp*.

Okay, thanks.

>There is no canonical rpm tool such as pkgtool. However, there are
>several ones available. I believe that RedHAt 6.0 came with "gnorpm"
which should
>do what you need.

Hmm, now how to get ahold of RH6.0 then.

>Slackware is the only full featured distribution that has its feel.
>I'm afraid its your best bet.

Blast then! If only they would go to libc6 and get a real package
manager, I wouldn't have a problem staying with them.

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with attachments.)
Slackware 3.5 (2.2.6) Linux user -- Linux Advocate

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]