[ale] Need help on RH5.2

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Jun 2 12:59:31 EDT 1999

Michael B Golden wrote:

> Problems:
> 1. I don't like RH's prompt. Is there anyway to change it to look like
> Slackwares?

Are you referring to the shell prompt?  It's dependent on the shell you
are using.  Console prompt?  I don't know.

> 2. When I move windows in KDE, the leave trails, so I continually have to
> R-click and refresh the screen. Is there any way to fix that?

Can't help you, I don't use kde, it's either a configurable
(intentional) or a problem with your X configuration file
(unintentional).

> 3. I can't shutdown from kdm. I tell it to and it won't shutdown. I try
> going into a wm and getting an xterm up and trying it there, and that
> doesn't work, I tried telinit 6, and that doesn't work. The first time, I
> had to use the switch, and the second time, I kept trying to make it
> work, and then it said no more processes in this runlevel and rebooted.
> How can I fix this so that I can tell it to reboot and it actually do it?

Since you said it did shutdown once, I suspect that you didn't wait long
enough for the shutdown process to complete before you went on to other
solutions.  If you open a window, su to root and execute '/sbin/shutdown
-h' your machine should shutdown.

> 4. How do I set up dial-up for internet? In Slack there is a pppsetup,
> but I can't find it in RH.

Can't help you here, I hacked my own scripts and don't use a gui
interface for that.

> 5. Is there any way to see all of the installed packages? (Like pkgtool
> can do)

I don't know if it's 'like pkgtool' but try 'rpm -qa'

> 6. Anything else to make this experience worthwhile.

What are you running on? (processor, memory...)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl