[ale] Upgrading to RH6.0 w/o the cost

S. Eric Asberry easberry at noblesys.com
Wed Jun 2 12:22:43 EDT 1999

Jeffery B Layton wrote:

> GPL CDs (around $5). My question is, do I just use these CD's
> as I would the normal CD's with the expensive RH? If so, do
> they come with a Boot Disk, and if not, is it easy to make one
> for RH6.0?

I bought mine from www.cheapbytes.com for less than $10.  I received a
bootable CD which I installed fresh on a machine at home.  I used the
same CD to upgrade a previously installed (by someone other than myself)
RedHat 5.1 installation at work.  Both worked flawlessly.

Of course, if your system doesn't support booting from the CD-ROM drive
(which may be what you were getting at) you will probably need to create
a boot floppy yourself (at least, the CD I got from cheapbytes.com
didn't include a floppy).  There is a HOWTO article on how to create a
boot disk, my local copy references a link to
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO.html for the LAG.  You
can also apparently get pre-made images from
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/current/i386/images.
I think there is also a directory on the CD itself that has this
information, but I don't have my CD handy.

Hope this helps!
--

S. Eric Asberry
Software Engineer, Noble Systems