[ale] Samba Configuration

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 1 09:42:25 EDT 1999

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Brubakken, Eric wrote:

> Well here I go again.  Still setting up my home LAN.  I am using the Samba
> version that comes with RH 5.2.  I have been using the reference 'Samba
> Integrating UNIX and Window' by John D. Blair.  But I am still confronted
> with the following problem.  When using Win98 Network Neighborhood and try
> to open up my Linux server I get the following message box.

> -------
> Enter Network Password
> -------
> You must supply a password to make this connection:
>
> Resource:    \\DBSERVER\IPC$ <file://\\\\DBSERVER\\IPC$>
>
> Password:
> --------

have you setup your smbpasswd file?
smbpasswd /etc/passwd >/etc/smbpasswd I think

> Needless to say, whatever password I enter, nothing works.
>
> What puzzles me is the '\IPC$' I do not have any reference to that in my
> smb.conf file.
>
> Here is the [global] section from my smb.conf file.  This is basically the
> standard file that was generated when I installed RH 5.2
>
>     [global]
>
>     mangled names = no
>
>     workgroup = TAN
>
>     server string = dbserver
>
>     printcap name = /etc/printcap
>
>     load printers = yes
>
>     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>
>     max log size = 50
>
>     security = user
>
>     encrypt passwords = no

you may need to change this to yes depending on the version of the windows
client.

>     socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>
>     dns proxy = no
>
> When I run testparm against smb.conf I get the following results.  I have
> cut just the reference to 'IPC$' from the output.
>
>     [IPC$]
>
>     comment = IPC Service (dbserver)
>
>     path = /tmp
>
>     status = No
>
>     guest ok = Yes
>
> So where is the 'IPC$' coming from?  Any and all help on this would be
> greatly appreciated.  I have also attached both files smb.conf and
> testparm.out to this message if anyone is interested in seeing the complete
> files.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Eric Brubakken
>
> Just another newbie trying to learn Linux

If you need more help feel free to mail me back throught the list of
directly.

Nick

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment.  It's the
impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
                -- Vice President Dan Quayle