[ale] 10/100 56K PCMCIA

J. Reeves Hall reeves at earthling.net
Wed Jul 21 14:51:03 EDT 1999

Stephan Uphoff wrote:

> Longterm costs:
>
> If you plan to use your laptop only on a desk you probably
> can use any card.
>
> I you use it anywhere else plan on cable breakage.
>
> They are almost 'designed' to break if you place the laptop on
> a soft surface like a cushion.

Xjack is excellent for preventing this, but I've only seen it on some cards
and only for RJ11.
3Com cards are horrible about breaking like this, but they agreed to
replace the cables for free when I called them and griped about it
(1800-NET-3COM). I've never gotten around to sending them in though; I need
the (mostly-working) network cable, and I never need the modem cable :)

-Reeves