[ale] Mouse/X Windows question

Zhongbin Yu " <zyu at premtec.com> Zhongbin Yu " <zyu at premtec.com>
Thu Jul 8 11:46:04 EDT 1999

hi, Justin,

Assume you are using LILO, and 'linux22' is the label you used to identify
your linux boot, then at LILO prompt, type in "linux22 single". You will
go to the single user mode. in there, you can edit your
/etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/XF86Config and 'startx' to try it out to see
if it works. In single user mode, startx may have problem if you didn't
have '/usr/X11R6/bin' in your PATH.

To permanently to boot to non-X mode, edit /etc/inittab, the first
uncommented line should be something like

id:5:initdefault:

This defines the defaul run level. On RH dist, 5 is the run level with
XDM. If you change 5 to 2 or 3, you will not have XDM upon bootup. 2 or 3
is multi-user mode. the /etc/inittab itself has explanation on it. Under
run level 2 and 3, you can still start X, manually. I know a few people
start X that way instead of XDM.

Good luck.

Jerry Yu
Systems Engineer	| zyu at tc.net
Premiere Technologies	| 404-262-8544(O)	1-800-979-1105 (P)
Atlanta, GA 30326	| ae.tc.net/dept/engineering/op/public/developer/zyu

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Justin Russell wrote:

#I was playing around with my XConfig file last night and somehow managed to really mess up my mouse under X Windows.
#
#I am running RedHat 6 and Gnome.  My setup is the default which auto-boots X when I boot my machine.
#
#However, without my mouse I have no control.  Is it possible for force the boot into single-user/shell mode instead of autobooting X?
#
#Alternatively, is there a way to control the mouse cursor without using the mouse?  (Yes I tried banging on keys, heh)
#
#Thanks in advance,
#
#Justin