[ale] Problem with using dhcp and cable modem

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Fri Jul 2 23:21:54 EDT 1999

Do you have two *different* subnets for the two different NICs in 'bandit'?

Presumably you are using 'bandit' as a router/gateway for your (Win9x) intranet?

To solve your immediate problem where Samba AS A DEFAULT uses your DNS-resolved name for a NetBios name, you could try these overrides in /etc/smb.conf ...

   [global]
     netbios name = bandit
     netbios alias = robber thief

That should give you THREE different (simultaneous) NB names for your system